Friday 26 June 2020

Easy, Free and no markers Augmented Reality - location based AR

For a few years, I have been a fan of Aframe and AR.js - these are fantastic tools for creating web-based Virtual and Augmented Reality. 

Now AR.js has just got easier - no coding need with the Beta version of AR.js Studio  including using markers (see this previous post for more details) and the focus of this post, geo-located or markerless AR.

It so easy I am going to show two examples. First going to the start screen of AR.js Studio https://ar-js-org.github.io/studio, select location based project type.





You will then be asked for the longitude and latitude on where you want your AR to be located, up to 10 locations can be used - I have only used one to trial it. If you don't know these co-ordinates they have included a link to a site https://www.latlong.net/ (see below) that will give you these and you can then transfer them into AR.js Studio that is the geo location bit done. Now for the thing at the location.



So for the first experiment, I going to use a free 3D model from https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/duck-6e039c6c606c4c26a1359514352629fd produced by likangning93 and released under a creative commons licence on Sketchfab. It is as simple as clicking upload file and browsing. The last stage is publishing it on GitHub and you getting a URL or downloading the files and which you can later add to a server - both really just a click option. 

So the Duck is shown below




So as a follow up and as I think Jupiter is such as a beautiful planet, I used a model by Miekle Roth on Sketchfab https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/jupiter-c5275eb96af245e4a8453837ac728a62 as a second geolocated object. So now I have Jupiter whenever I want - no I am not that power-mad.




Some interesting things I noticed it is relatively easy to do it, and I think the resources downloaded through AR.js Studio could be a great start on a more complex project. Initially, I didn't have location turned on my phone (obvious I know) but I could still see the object when I looked down - so that is great feature to have when you are trying out markerless AR to see what it could look like. 


All opinions in this blog are the Author's and should not in any way be seen as reflecting the views of any organisation the Author has any association with. Twitter @scottturneruon

1 comment:

  1. Augmented reality certainly has much importance in real life for entertainment as well as industrial applications. Virtual Reality is much satisfying when compared to AR for personal entertainment. Please visit my site for more details. Augmented Reality Development

    ReplyDelete

ChatGPT, Data Scientist - fitting it a bit

This is a second post about using ChatGPT to do some data analysis. In the first looked at using it to some basic statistics  https://robots...